Five Rules to Effective Video Production
Following the rapid growth of social media over the past few years has come the equally dramatic evolution of web video marketing. Given the ability of online video to rapidly transmit large quantities of information in an entertaining and dynamic medium, as well as its highly effective, low cost means of reaching such a broad audience, it is no wonder video has so quickly become such a staple in any well-rounded web marketing campaign. Due to shortening attention span of the average viewer, video has easily surpassed text content as the leading method of information sharing among web audiences. However, before you begin trying to produce your own online video content, here are five important rules to keep in mind throughout the process to ensure you make the best video content possible.
1. Perhaps the most important principle to producing good web video marketing content is in understanding the wants and needs of your audience, and giving them exactly what it is they are looking for.
2. Before you begin filming your videos, take the time to carefully plan each stage of your video production process to guarantee that you know exactly what you are doing when the time comes. Take into careful consideration the message you want to share with your audience, the type of video you will be making, where the video will be filmed, etc. Having a detailed understanding of what you hope to achieve and how you hope to achieve it will save you considerable time, money, and frustration when production gets underway.
3. The goal of any video is to transfer information as effectively and efficiently as possible. In order to do this, you will need to have your video carefully scripted to ensure that your message is conveyed as smoothly as possible. This will also require repeated rehearsal so that the delivery comes across as fluidly and naturally as possible. Also, be mindful of the length of your video and try to keep it as short and direct as possible in order to get your message across in the narrow space of time that you can hold the audience’s attention.
4. Production quality is also vitally important to the effectiveness of your video content. This means you will need to have all the right equipment and the necessary understanding to make your video look as professional as possible. If a video appears cheap and poorly made, it will fail to capture the audience’s attention, as well destroy your credibility in the eyes of the viewer. In short, it would be better not to produce a video at all than to create a bad video that turns the audience away.
5. When it comes time to place your videos, consider where they will achieve the greatest effect and garner the most views. Typically, you will want to place these videos both on you companies homepage and on YouTube, both of which can make use of video SEO to maximize your videos’ exposure and draw in more customers. Also, keep in mind that you can always go back and break up and repurpose pieces of these videos in the future.
Written by: Scott Cox