Writing a Killer Web Video Script that Sells
If you are looking to add a web video to your Internet marketing arsenal, there is something you should know before diving into the deep end. Nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing, is more important than the script — not fancy animation, not super high-energy music, not even a smoking hot blond in a skimpy bikini.
Regardless of how complex or intricate the video may be, composing a powerful script is absolutely crucial to the success of any sales video. It’s all about the message!
In this article, I am giving you the blueprint of writing the perfect script that sells. This script formula is designed to increase conversions (visitors to leads), or sell your product or service right from the Internet.
The script should be broken down into three specific parts:
- The Hook
- The Features, Advantages and Benefits
- The Call-To-Action
1.The hook is designed to get the viewers’ attention immediately, and to get them excited about watching the rest of the video. Since you typically have only 8-10 seconds to get your viewers’ attention, your hook must be well-crafted, straight to the point, specifically targeting your audience, and it should take 8-10 seconds to deliver. The hook should relay what the video is about, what it is covering, and some point that says, “Oh yeah, I gotta watch this!”
2. The Features, Advantages and Benefits will be the bulk of the commercial and the meat of the script.
- First, make a list of the most important Features that your product or service offers. Think from the perspective of your audience needs. Let’s use a smart phone as an example. One feature that all smart phones have is a built-in camera. That’s a feature – okay – so what?
- What are the advantages of the built-in camera? Well, it’s a 16 megapixel, with all new optics, performs well in low-light conditions, has facial recognition, and records video in high-definition. Great! But what does that mean to viewer? What’s the real benefit?
- The benefit is: never miss another important moment in your child’s life. Apple’s genius benefit was saying “The most incredible camera on the planet is the one in your hand when you need it the most.” Brilliant! Everyone can relate to that. What three items does every person remember before leaving his or her house? Car keys, wallet, and cellphone.
3. The last part of your web video script is going to be the call-to-action. This is one of the things that most people say “duh”, but almost always get wrong. There are as many effective ways to use a call-to-action, and “call 214-555-5555” is NOT one of them. You most definitely have to tell people what to do next, but it cannot be done in a pushy way. “Call today” means “call me so I can put a hard-close on you,” and nobody likes that. Be creative! Be helpful! If your call-to-action sounds like a sales pitch, I guarantee it will fail. “If you have any questions at all, or need help with any of the features or customization, give us a call. We are here to make sure you love your new smart phone. We will even transfer all your data from your old phone, to your new one.”